On a night earlier this week, I found myself alone in my house.
I mean, Addie was here, but she had just barely gone to sleep after a good half hour of frantic sobs (it's been a pattern with her lately, no matter how many times I go in to comfort her).
Chad had late class and meetings so he wouldn't be home until well after dinnertime.
What to do?
I could do the dishes; there were more cups and spoons in the sink than in the cupboards. Many more.
Nah. Leave them.
I could read my book or catch up on reading blogs.
No, no. I need something exciting! Practice being spontaneous!
So I created a night just for me.
I didn't necessarily do or eat or think about my absolute favorite things in the world.
But on that particular night, they were just what I needed.
Just what I wanted!
And doing what I want hasn't exactly been the center of my attention lately.
My night included these things:
- extra-large sweatpants and my tremendously comfortable bed
- You've Got Mail, the movie that speaks to my soul
- Papa John's pizza delivered to my door (You mean I can actually order pizza for myself?)
- a grapefruit, halved and sectioned, then eaten with a spoon
- cinnamon-cider candle flickering next to me
If you were to take a night for yourself tonight,
what would it include?